Sunday, October 4, 2015

Red Cross Garden

Red Cross Garden, Redcross Way, Southwark, London
Red Cross Garden, Redcross Way
Southwark
London, September 2015

“Red Cross Garden was laid out in 1887 on the site of a burnt down paper factory and a derelict warehouse. Its meandering paths were designed to give a sense of space and a place to wander amongst the curved lawns and flower beds. An ornamental pond was made with a fountain to provide beauty and movement, offering a focus for contemplation. The bandstand provided for performances of music and poetry. Where the BOST information centre now stands, Octavia Hill had a covered play area for children so that they could be outside in sunshine or rain, and overhead a walkway for viewing the garden or choir performances. Colourful mosaics brought art and beauty to the working poor – The Sower mosaic still remains, but there was also a beautiful one called The Good Shepherd – unfortunately this seems to have been lost when the warehouse that bounded the garden on the north side was demolished. The garden was the venue for the annual Southwark Flower Show, and many fetes and celebrations.”
(Red Cross Garden, Bankside Open Spaces Trust)

No comments: