Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Worth Monument

Worth Monument and Commodore Criterion building, Madison Square, New York

Worth Monument (1857) and Commodore Criterion building
General Worth Square / Madison Square
New York, September 2007

“Not too long ago I was giving an architectural walking tour in the Madison Square Park area when somebody asked me ‘what's going on with the Commodore Criterion building?’ If you've been by the park you've probably seen the building at the intersection of Fifth Avenue, 25th Street, and Broadway with its name fixed atop the tall stone parapet. I had no answer to the question, except that the Christmas display over the front door had not come down in years, meaning the building was most likely vacant. What I did not know at the time was that Spanish tile/kitchen/bath company Porcelanosa bought the building last summer. Since my tour I've also learned that Porcelanosa hired Foster + Partners to transform the six-story building into their US/NYC flagship showroom.” (From Commodore Criterion to Porcelanosa, A Daily Dose of Architecture)

No comments: