Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sassetti Chapel

Cappella Sassetti (Sassetti Chapel) by Domenico Ghirlandaio, Basilica of Santa Trinita, piazza Santa Trinita, Florence
Cappella Sassetti (Sassetti Chapel) by Domenico Ghirlandaio
Basilica of Santa Trinita, piazza Santa Trinita
Florence, May 2017

“Francesco Sassetti (1421–1490) was a rich banker and a member of the Medici entourage, for which he directed the Medici Bank. In 1478 he acquired the chapel of St. Francis in Santa Trinita, after his proposal to add a decoration portraying the saint had been rejected by the Dominicans of Santa Maria Novella, where his family had had a chapel (later also frescoed by Ghirlandaio, and now known as the Tornabuoni Chapel) since the 14th century. He commissioned the execution of the frescoes from the most famed artist of the city, Domenico Ghirlandaio. The date of the contract is that signed next to the portraits of Sassetti and his wife (December 25, 1480), although the work was not carried out until between 1483 and 1486. The central altarpiece, depicting the Adoration of the Shepherds, is dated 1485. Ghirlandaio portrayed numerous figures of contemporary Florentine society in the scenes. All the work shows the importance of the influence on Ghirlandaio of Flemish school, in particular the Portinari Triptych by Hugo van der Goes, taken by him to Florence in 1483 and now in the Uffizi. The Chapel was restored in 2004.” (Sassetti Chapel, Wikipedia)

No comments: