Saturday, May 7, 2016

Church of San Matteo

Church of San Matteo, Piazza San Matteo, Genoa
Church of San Matteo (St. Matthew)
Piazza San Matteo
Genoa, April 2016

“The church was founded in 1125 by Martino Doria, as the private chapel of his family. In 1278 it was totally renewed in Gothic style. The building was again renovated in the mid-16th century by order of Andrea Doria, who commissioned the work to Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli (changes included the presbytery and the dome). It was further renovated in 1557–1559, under design by Giovanni Battista Castello (nave and aisles) and decoration, realized by Luca Cambiaso among the others.”
(San Matteo, Wikipedia)

No comments: