Sunday, March 16, 2014

Inside San Miniato

Florence
Basilica of San Miniato al Monte (St. Minias on the Mountain)
Viale dei Colli
Florence, October 2013

See also: San Miniato al Monte

“The interior is extremely unusual, with the choir raised on a platform above the large crypt, and has changed little since it was first built. The patterned pavement dates from 1207. The centre of the nave is dominated by the beautiful freestanding Cappella del Crocefisso (Chapel of the Crucifix), designed by Michelozzo in 1448. It originally housed the miraculous crucifix now in Santa Trìnita and is decorated with panels long thought to be painted by Agnolo Gaddi. The terracotta decoration of the vault is by Luca della Robbia.”
(San Miniato al Monte, Florence, Sacred Destinations)