Wednesday, September 19, 2018

I Goat

I Goat by Kenny Hunter, Brushfield Street, Spitalfields, London

“I Goat” by Kenny Hunter, 2011
Brushfield Street
Spitalfields
London, September 2015

“There's a bearded lady across the road from the Liverpool Street station in Spitalfields parish. Standing atop a pile of concrete crates, she surveys bankers and lawyers rushing to and fro, listens to buskers in the square, and the bells of Christ Church behind her. She is also a goat. ‘I Goat’, a hand-crafted sculpture by Kenny Hunter, was unveiled in 2011. The aluminum farm animal stands atop a tall stack of crates, locked in a proud stance. Nowadays, she’s the only horned creature in the vicinity, but back when King Charles I licensed the sale of flesh, fowl and roots on the site in 1638, Spittle Fields was a bustling trading ground on the outskirts of London. Robert Horner’s market buildings, completed in 1893, still stand, housing restaurants and shops, although the fruit and vegetable market was moved further east to Leyton in 1991.” (I Goat, Atlas Obscura)

No comments: