Saturday, December 17, 2016

San Nicola da Tolentino

San Nicola da Tolentino agli Orti Sallustiani, Saint Nicholas of Tolentino in the Gardens of Sallust, Via di San Nicola da Tolentino, Rome
San Nicola da Tolentino agli Orti Sallustiani
(Saint Nicholas of Tolentino in the Gardens of Sallust)
Via di San Nicola da Tolentino,
Rome, April 2013

“San Nicola da Tolentino agli Orti Sallustiani (Saint Nicholas of Tolentino in the Gardens of Sallust) is a church in Rome. It is one of the two national churches of Armenia. The church was built for the Discalced Augustinians in 1599, and originally dedicated to the 13th century Augustinian monk, St. Nicholas of Tolentino (also called San Niccolò or Nicolò da Tolentino). The interior was rebuilt 1614–1620 by Carlo Buti and Martino Longhi, supported by patronage by the Pamphilj family. The Milanese architect Francesco Buzio was also involved in the redesign. Starting in 1654, it was rebuilt by Giovanni Maria Baratta, one of the main pupils of Alessandro Algardi. In 1883, the church was given to the Pontifical Armenian College by Pope Leo XIII. The Armenian Catholic Church is in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.” (San Nicola da Tolentino, Wikipedia)

No comments: