Mark of the Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik (Metalware Factory of Wuerttemberg)
Facade of the former WMF Building, Leipziger Straße / Mauerstraße
Berlin, September 2011
“During the 1920s, Abteilung für Galvanoplastik was producing reproductions of large-scale Italian Renaissance bronze works for an American clientele. Albert Weiblen Marble & Granite Co., Inc. of New Orleans pursued the acquisition of a gilt copper reproduction of Ghiberti's ‘Gates of Paradise’. In 1910, the Reale Istituto di Belle Arti had granted WMF the exclusive right to take a sharp cast of the original doors, from which WMF created a reproduction that was exhibited at the International Building Trades Exhibition in Leipzig (1913). WMF produced a trilingual catalog about the doors, titled Erztüre des Hauptportals am Baptisterium in Florenz.”
Lantern of the dome, Saint-Louis des Invalides
Avenue de Tourville, 7e arrondissement
Paris, July 2012
“Shortly after the veterans' chapel was completed, Louis XIV constructed a separate private royal chapel, which was named ‘Église du Dôme’. The architect for the dome was Jules Hardouin-Mansart and the royal chapel stood finished 1706, in which it was inaugurated by the king himself. The royal chapel is considered one of the very finest examples of French Baroque architecture.
The dome itself was inspired by the origin of all Baroque domes; the dome of the grand St. Peters Basilica in Rome. The Église du Dôme has in turn been the inspiration for several other buildings, including the San Francisco City Hall.
In 1989 during the 200th anniversary of the French Revolution, the dome itself was regilded for the 5th time since its creation. During the process, a large number of thin gold leaves were used. The total weight equaled around ten kilos pure gold.”
“This piazza takes its name from the Basilica Santissima Annunziata, Florence, which terminates the axis at one end of a long street, the present Via dei Servi. The street is closed at the other end by Brunelleschi's great dome. The loggias on three sides of the square make it probably the best example of a Renaissance piazza. Broadly speaking the piazza as it now appears represents the general ideas of town planning of Brunelleschi and his contemporaries. Indeed it was Brunelleschi himself who designed the major building in the square, the Ospedale degli Innocenti or the Hospital of the Innocents.”
117-121 Mount Street / 1 Mt Street Mews
City of Westminster
London, October 2009
“Terrace of houses and flats with shops. 1886-7 by James Trant Smith. Red brick and lavish terracotta dressings, slate roofs. Ornate and eclectic exercise in Queen Anne and Flemish styles. Four storeys with dormered and gabled attics. Ground floor mostly original shop fronts with segmented arched display windows framed together with doorways by engaged decorated columns and pilasters supporting continuous entablature with iron cresting. Upper floors have 2 pairs of canted bay windows flanking central bowed oriel rising to shaped gable and at each end of block polygonal corner pavilions with domed attics - mullioned-transomed casements and sashes with glazing bars in architraves. Smaller gabled windows and elliptical arched dormers in roof. Moulded string and sill courses. The east corner pavilion has additional cast iron balconies and inset busts to each floor. Plain brick return elevations. Prominent chimney stacks. Part of the 1880s -90s rebuilding of Mount Street for the Grosvenor Estate.”
“The bridge, made of steel, is the second to have stood at the site. It was constructed between 1903 and 1905, replacing an earlier bridge that had been erected in 1878. An arch bridge, it is 237 metres (777 ft) long and 24.7 metres (81 ft) wide. The bridge has two levels: one for motor vehicles and pedestrians, and a viaduct above, through which passes Line 6 of the Paris Métro. The railway viaduct is supported by metal colonnades, except where it passes over the île aux Cygnes, where it rests on a masonry arch. Many commemorative plates decorate the viaduct bridge, including several dedicated to soldiers fallen in Belgium during the Second World War.”