Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Mongolian

Mongolian (standing position) by Shen HongBiao, rue Soufflot, Paris

Mongolian (standing position) by Shen HongBiao, 2009
Rue Soufflot
Quartier de la Sorbonne, 5th arrondissement
Paris, July 2014

“The statue is a gift to the Sorbonne, and once which expresses my feelings of gratitude towards the institution. The work represents a Mongolian wrestler, who stands at the edge of the Mongolian Steppe. I try to represent an interior force in my sculptures. The materials which I employ in my works are often very hard – like steel, iron, bronze and stone. The interior force of the sculpture is soft, like water. It extends up to the exterior, whilst the force of the exterior pushes inward: the two forces press against one another. This large piece is a response to the Mongolian Steppe. My art acts as a witness to my life.” (Hong-Biao Shen’s naked giant, Art Media Agency)

2 comments:

Dina said...

Wo, he has had too much Mongolian grill.

El Carpintonto said...

I see a stunning representation of a superb athlete!!